Autodip - How To
How to: Autodip
PREPARATION IS KEY TO A PROFESSIONAL LOOKING, DURABLE APPLICATION
Rinse surface to remove loose dirty and debris. Apply Autodip Prep Spray generously over the entire surface Let the product sit for one (1) minute). Wipe surface dry with a clean microfibre clot or thoroughly rinse off then wipe dry.
The underlying surface must be thoroughly cleaned and dried to remove all dirt, debris and wax residue that may hinder Autodip’s ability to adhere and cause fish eyes during installation. Do not sand the surface prior to application.
Remove the wheels and lay them on the ground. Extensively mask off surrounding areas (including tires, headlights, turn signals, reflectors, valve stems, inner-wheel barrel, etc) to avoid overspray. Remove center-caps. Use only when temperature of both the aerosol can and surface are above 20°C.
- Left over tire-shine, wax, soap or moisture on the surface prior to spraying will cause lack of adherence and fish eyes which results in bubbling and eventual tearing of the Autodip finish.
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY TO GET THE SIGNATURE AUTODIP FINISH
Shake can vigorously for one full minute. Do not spray in breezy, humid or sunny conditions. Test spray away from the surface you are spraying before each coat. If your wheels or accessories have been newly painted or repainted, or you are unsure of surface compatibility always test a small area before applying.
Hold can upright and 8 to 12 inches from surface. Apply a light first coat. Inspect the first coat for signs of surface contamination. Establish a repeatable pattern when spraying your wheels to make sure you thoroughly cover all spokes and areas of your wheels. From the 2nd coat on, move the can back and forth, overlapping each stroke to get a wet, high-gloss finish. Allow a 10 to 20 minute drying period between coats.
Avoid excess overlapping and spraying too close to prevent drips and sags. Expect full color coverage at 4 to 6 coats. Apply 10 wet coats for optimal durability. The Metallic Series requires a Gloss Black or Arctic White base coat (4 coats).
Remove masking tape before letting final coat dry. Allow an 8 hour drying period before driving and up to 7 days for complete curing. If applying Top Coat immediately after, do not remove masking tape.
TOP COAT INSTRUCTIONS
The previously applied Autodip Gloss Series or Metallic Series must have dried for atleast 1 hour before proceeding with the application of Autodip High Gloss or Frozen Top Coat. Make sure the surface is clean and free of any dust. Avoid sunlight, high humidity and breeze conditions. Use at room temperature for best results (70F, 21C).
Shake can vigorously for one full minute before spraying. Apply a light first coat. Inspect the first coat for surface contamination. Hold can upright 8 to 12 inches from the surface. Moving the can back and forth. Overlap each stroke to get an even and wet appearance. Avoid excess overlap or spraying too close to the surface.
Wait 15 minutes between coats. Apply one (1) to two (2) wet coat(s). Removing masking when dry. Allow 6 to 8 hours final drying period before reinstalling your wheels and driving. Complete curing time up to 7 days.
- If your nozzle is clogged, remove any dry paint that may have accumulated on the nozzle tip. Turn the can upside down and spray for 5 seconds to purge the nozzle.
- Bubbles or fish eyes are cause by surface contamination such as wax, polishes or acids that have not been removed during preparation.
- ALWAYS TEST ON AN INCONSPICUOUS AREA BEFORE APPLYING. IF YOUR WHEELS AND ACCESSORIES HAVE BEEN REPAINTED WITHIN THE LAST 90 DAYS, DO NOT APPLY AUTODIP. DO NOT APPLY AUTODIP ON NON-CLEARCOATED SURFACES INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO VINYL WRAPS, STICKERS, RAW PLASTICS, RAW BADGES AND PLASTIC CENTER CAPS. IF YOUR WHEELS ARE AFTERMARKET, TEST ON AN INCONSPICUOUS AREA FIRST TO DETERMINE SURFACE COMPATIBILITY. IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHETHER YOUR SURFACE IS CLEARCOATED, WE RECOMMEND YOU CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALERSHIP TO CONFIRM.
- ONLY APPLY AUTODIP TOP COAT SERIES OVER AUTODIP GLOSS OR METALLIC SERIES THAT MEETS THE MINIMUM REQUIRED THICKNESS OF TEN (10) WET COATS. APPLYING THE TOP COAT OVER AUTODIP GLOSS OR METALLIC SERIES THAT IS NOT THICK ENOUGH WILL COMPROMISE REMOVABILITY. ONLY APPLY OVER AUTODIP GLOSS OR METALLIC SERIES THAT HAS BEEN DRIED FOR AT LEAST ONE (1) HOUR.
- SELLER CANNOT CONTROL USE OF THIS PRODUCT AND WILL NOT ACCEPT LIABILITY FOR MORE THAN PRODUCT REPLACEMENT.
- BEFORE SPRAYING THE FACE OF THE WHEEL, APPLY 3-4 COATS ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE EDGES OF YOUR RIM SPOKES. THEY WILL DRASTICALLY REDUCE THE POTENTIAL CHANCES OF HAVING THE DIP ON THE EDGE OF YOUR WHEEL BARREL LIFT WHEN PUT UNDER HIGH WATER PRESSURE.
Only use Autodip maintenance products in order to properly maintain your premium finish. Use of unapproved products may damage your Autodip finish.
Visit our STORE section for more information.
- Autodip maintenance products can be safely used on Autodip as well as your original paint and parts.
- Avoid gas drips as it may stain your Autodip finish.
If your Autodip surface becomes scratches or stained, touch-up the imperfection by applying enough coats to color-match the affected area. Usually 2 to 4 coats would suffice to hide the scratch or stain.
If your Autodip surface becomes chipped, touch-up the imperfection by applying a minimum of 6 coats to repair the affected area.
If your Autodip surface becomes torn, it is a clear sign that preparation of your surface was not optimal or Autodip was not applied thick enough. We recommend peeling the entire wheel or accessory and respraying the wheel or accessory.
- IF YOUR AUTODIP FINISH IS TORN OR DAMAGED, DO NOT EXPOSE THE AFFECTED SURFACE TO HIGH WATER PRESSURE AS IT WILL COMPROMISE AUTODIP'S ADHERENCE.
PEELING AUTODIP IS QUICK AND EASY
Work an edge until the coat begins to lift, then slowly work your way around the wheel or accessory. Autodip will come off in large pieces when properly applied. Most wheels will peel under 5 minutes. No solvent is required.
- Use a plastic card to remove left-over product in hard to reach areas.